How to make use of SPE instructions?

Markus Stockhausen stockhausen at collogia.de
Thu Jan 8 20:58:45 AEDT 2015

Hello,

I developed a SHA224/256 kernel crypto module with SPE instructions.
The result looks quite promising (~ +50% speedup). Nevertheless the
flooding of kernel messages "SPE used in kernel" makes me feel
uncomfortable.

My findings so far:

- I can configure the kernel with "SPE support".
- arch/powerpc/kernel/head_fsl_booke.S suggests that the message is
  triggerd unconditionally whenwever we make use of SPE in kernel.
- There exists a function enable_kernel_spe() but I don't know how
  this could help me in my work.

I guess I need some kind of "brackets" around my coding to make sure
the upper 32 bit of the registers are stored correctly during task switch.
Or is the use of SPE instructions inside the kernel totally forbidden? Any
expert with some helpful advise?

Thanks in advance.

Markus