[v2] pseries/iommu: remove iommu device references via bus notifier

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Tue Feb 24 15:42:15 AEDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 10:54 -0800, Nishanth Aravamudan wrote:
> On 23.02.2015 [13:27:24 +1100], Michael Ellerman wrote:

> > > How does this look? Only compile-tested with CONFIG_IOMMU_API on/off so
> > > far, waiting for access to the test LPAR (should have it on Monday).
> >
> > Yeah that looks better, thanks.
> >
> > It probably doesn't build with CONFIG_PCI=n though, but I don't think
> > CONFIG_PCI=n builds anyway.
>
> Indeed it doesn't. Started looking at CONFIG_PCI=n and immediately hit
> the following:
>
> PCI_MSI depends on PCI
>
> PCI can be manually turned off
>
> PSERIES (and a bunch of other platforms) select PCI_MSI
>
> So you end up with PCI_MSI on and PCI off and the build breaks.
>
> Should the platforms depend on PCI_MSI instead?

No, they don't depend on it, they would just like it if PCI is enabled.

That can be fixed fairly easily by making it:

config PSERIES
	select PCI_MSI if PCI

But you then discover that there are ten other places where the build breaks
for PCI=n.

I'm starting to think we should just force PCI on for PSERIES and be done with
it, we could all spend less of our time chasing build breaks for configurations
no one actually cares about in practice (ie. PSERIES=y PCI=n).

cheers