PROBLEM: USB isochronous urb leak on EHCI driver

Michael Tessier michael.tessier at axiontech.ca
Wed Feb 11 02:11:00 AEDT 2015

> > Okay; I did my homeworks. We've loaded kernel V3.16 (Oct 14th, 2015)
> > on an i.MX51 plattform and the problem is still there. Unless an
> > important change occured in V3.19, it appears that the latest kernel
> > is not the solution for us. So we're still not able to use 4 codecs on
> > our i.MX plattform.
> >
> > So just to make things clearer:
> > - We have customers waiting for a solution with that hardware (this
> > hardware is already delivred AND used);
> > - We have important comittments and severe penalties ($$$) if we're
> > not able to deliver on time (due for March 15th);
> > - We've already looked at a hardware solution, which corresponds to
> > replace current units ($$$$$), so that is not really an option for us;
> >
> > So as a last resort, I'm wondering, where is the USB expert who could
> > help us solving our problem? Any suggestions?
>
> That would be me.

Great. What do you need to make it a priority?

> > If we are to get into debugging the USB driver, we would do it with
> > the current kernel used (V2.6.31). What are the better tools to get
> > into that? I guess a USB analyzer (hardware) would be the smart thing?
> > Any brand name to suggest?
>
> It really would be better to start by debugging the most recent kernel possible.  Once the problem has been solved there, it should be fairly straightforward to port it back.

How much time do you think you'd spend solving that kind of issue? Few days? Few weeks, or few months? Could you commit on a certain number of hours? (We are trying to evaluate a possible date where we could start delivering products)

When you say "straightforward", again do you have an idea of the amount of time to do such work?

> > Any other ideas for a solution will be really appreciated.
>
> You should begin by using usbmon during a short test (one or two seconds ought to be enough).  See the instructions in the kernel source file Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.

Thanks for your support,
Michael Tessier