[PATCH v16 00/16] perf, tools: Add support for PMU events in JSON format
sukadev at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Aug 26 16:05:50 AEST 2015
CPUs support a large number of performance monitoring events (PMU events)
and often these events are very specific to an architecture/model of the
CPU. To use most of these PMU events with perf, we currently have to identify
them by their raw codes:
perf stat -e r100f2 sleep 1
This patchset allows architectures to specify these PMU events in JSON
files located in 'tools/perf/pmu-events/arch/' of the mainline tree.
The events from the JSON files for the architecture are then built into
the perf binary.
At run time, perf identifies the specific set of events for the CPU and
creates "event aliases". These aliases allow users to specify events by
perf stat -e pm_1plus_ppc_cmpl sleep 1
The file, 'tools/perf/pmu-events/README' in [PATCH 16/16] gives more
- All known events tables for the architecture are included in the
- For architectures that don't have any JSON files, an empty mapping
table is created and they should continue to build.
Thanks to input from Andi Kleen, Jiri Olsa, Namhyung Kim and Ingo Molnar.
These patches are available from:
json-v16 Source Code only
json-files-6 x86 and Powerpc datafiles only
json-v16-with-data Both code and data (for build/test)
NOTE: Only "source code" patches (i.e those in json-v16) are being emailed.
Please pull the "data files" from the json-files-6 branch.
Rebase to recent perf/core; fix minor merge conflicts; drop 3 patches
that were merged into perf/core.
- Fix 'perf list' usage string and update man page.
- Remove a redundant __maybe_unused tag.
- Rebase to recent perf/core branch.
Data files updates: json-files-5 branch
- Rebase to perf/intel-json-files-5 from Andi Kleen
- Add patch from Madhavan Srinivasan for couple more Powerpc models
Comments from Jiri Olsa:
- Change parameter name/type for pmu_add_cpu_aliases (from void *data
to list_head *head)
- Use asprintf() in file_name_to_tablename() and simplify/reorg code.
- Use __weak definition from <linux/compile.h>
- Use fopen() with mode "w" and eliminate unlink()
- Remove minor TODO.
- Add error check for return value from strdup() in print_pmu_events().
- Move independent changes from patches 3,11,12 .. to separate patches
for easier review/backport.
- Clarify mapfile's "header line support" in patch description.
- Fix build failure with DEBUG=1
Comment from Andi Kleen:
- In tools/perf/pmu-events/Build, check for 'mapfile.csv' rather than
- Minor changes/clarifications to tools/perf/pmu-events/README.
Version: Individual patches have their own history :-) that I am
preserving. Patchset version (v13) is for overall patchset and is
- Added support for "categories" of events to perf
- Add mapfile, jevents build dependency on pmu-events.c
- Silence jevents when parsing JSON files unless V=1 is specified
- Cleanup error messages
- Fix memory leak with ->cpuid
- Rebase to Arnaldo's tree
- Allow overriding CPUID via environment variable
- Support long descriptions for events
- Handle header line in mapfile.csv
- Cleanup JSON files (trim PublicDescription if identical to/prefix of
Andi Kleen (9):
perf, tools: Add jsmn `jasmine' JSON parser
perf, tools, jevents: Program to convert JSON file to C style file
perf, tools: Support CPU id matching for x86 v2
perf, tools: Support alias descriptions
perf, tools: Query terminal width and use in perf list
perf, tools: Add a --no-desc flag to perf list
perf, tools: Add override support for event list CPUID
perf, tools: Add support for event list topics
perf, tools: Handle header line in mapfile
Sukadev Bhattiprolu (7):
perf, tools: Use pmu_events table to create aliases
perf, tools: Support CPU ID matching for Powerpc
perf, tools, jevents: Add support for long descriptions
perf, tools: Add alias support for long descriptions
perf, tools: Support long descriptions with perf list
perf, tools, jevents: Add support for event topics
perf, tools: Add README for info on parsing JSON/map files
tools/perf/Documentation/perf-list.txt | 12 +-
tools/perf/Makefile.perf | 26 +-
tools/perf/arch/powerpc/util/header.c | 11 +
tools/perf/arch/x86/util/header.c | 24 +-
tools/perf/builtin-list.c | 17 +-
tools/perf/pmu-events/Build | 11 +
tools/perf/pmu-events/README | 122 ++++++
tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.c | 712 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.h | 18 +
tools/perf/pmu-events/jsmn.c | 313 ++++++++++++++
tools/perf/pmu-events/jsmn.h | 67 +++
tools/perf/pmu-events/json.c | 162 ++++++++
tools/perf/pmu-events/json.h | 39 ++
tools/perf/pmu-events/pmu-events.h | 37 ++
tools/perf/util/cache.h | 1 +
tools/perf/util/header.h | 1 +
tools/perf/util/pager.c | 15 +
tools/perf/util/parse-events.c | 5 +-
tools/perf/util/parse-events.h | 3 +-
tools/perf/util/pmu.c | 176 +++++++-
tools/perf/util/pmu.h | 6 +-
21 files changed, 1744 insertions(+), 34 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/Build
create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/README
create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.c
create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.h
create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/jsmn.c
create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/jsmn.h
create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/json.c
create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/json.h
create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/pmu-events.h
More information about the Linuxppc-dev