sparc64: Build failure due to commit f1600e549b94 (sparc: Make sparc64 use scalable lib/iommu-common.c functions)

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Tue Apr 21 02:44:31 AEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:25:19PM -0400, David Miller wrote:
> From: Guenter Roeck <linux at roeck-us.net>
> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:17:21 -0700
>
> > The debug option is intended for all _other_ architectures, to
> > ensure that changes made for those don't break alpha/s390
> > builds. alpha/s390 have ARCH_NEEDS_WEAK_PER_CPU and don't need the
> > debug option.
>
> Ironically this would not create a build failure for the architectures
> where this matters, because only powerpc has the like named percpu
> symbol.
>
> So it's not really meeting the stated objective in this case.

Yes, that is correct; it can only find problems in non-architecture
code, and on the downside produces false positives and thus build errors
like this one.

Which makes the fix a bit philosophical. Rename iommu_pool_hash in
iommu-common, or drop DEBUG_FORCE_WEAK_PER_CPU. I would rename
iommu_pool_hash, but that is just me. Ultimately, I don't really
care one way or another, as long as the problem gets fixed.

Guenter