Fwd: Re: sparc64: Build failure due to commit f1600e549b94 (sparc: Make sparc64 use scalable lib/iommu-common.c functions)

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Mon Apr 20 13:01:25 AEST 2015

On Sun, 2015-04-19 at 14:36 -0400, Sowmini Varadhan wrote:

>     :
> >
> > Maybe ping the powerpc folks becuase if they can do a quick
> > conversion, this change isn't necessary.
>
> linuxppc-dev,
>
> The disussion above [http://www.spinics.net/lists/sparclinux/msg13835.html]
> is in reference to the issue that Guenter Roeck
> identified. The problem is that we have a
>   static DEFINE_PER_CPU(unsigned int, iommu_pool_hash);

It's static ..

>   if CONFIG_DEBUG_FORCE_WEAK_PER_CPU is configured, which is the case here.
>   The marked line above shows that __pcpu_unique_iommu_pool_hash is declared as
>   global variable"

OK, so why doesn't CONFIG_DEBUG_FORCE_WEAK_PER_CPU depend on s390 and/or alpha?

Someone needs to be doing s390/alpha builds with that enabled anyway, because
otherwise a clash between generic code and s390/alpha won't be caught.

Or if that's too hard we can rename the powerpc version, but it seems silly to
rename a powerpc variable to deal with a debug option that is only useful for
s390/alpha.

cheers