Old regression with MTD devices disappearing from a Kurobox HD/HG

Rogério Brito rbrito at ime.usp.br
Fri Apr 10 09:12:50 AEST 2015

Hi, Scott.

On Apr 09 2015, Scott Wood wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-04-09 at 18:54 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > Dear Scott and other people,
> >
> > Just for the record, I am passing now the following command line option to
> > the kernel:
> >
> >     mtdparts=myflash:4096k(allflash),3072k(firmimg),448k at 3072k(bootcode),64k at 3520k(status),512k at 3584k(conf)
>
> What is "myflash"?  You need to match the device name that the kernel
> uses.

>From the documentation that I read, it *seemed* to be an arbitrary name and,
to be screamingly different from anything else, I just picked "myflash".
So, in my case (see dmesg snippet below), I would use "physmap-flash.0",
right? Or would that be "physmap-flash"? Or something else entirely?

,----
`----

> What is "allflash"?  If the flash is only 4 MiB and you're trying to
> make the first partition refer to the entire flash, it won't work.
> It'll see that 4 MiB partition and ignore the rest as being beyond the
> end of the device.

OK, I was just trying to mimic the layout that you can see here:

    http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Flash_ROM#Checking_the_layout_.28with_kernel_2.6.x.29

> > Do the options CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS and CONFIG_MTD_OF_PARTS somehow
> > "conflict" with each other?
>
> No.  CONFIG_MTD_OF_PARTS only matters if you're describing the flash
> chip in the device tree, and even then cmdline mtdparts takes precedence
> if present.

Great to know. I hope that one way or another we can have these partitions
specified in the device tree so that:

* The device tree sources better reflect the reality and describe the
  hardware closer than they do today.
* I can clean up my command line.

Thanks once again,

--