Old regression with MTD devices disappearing from a Kurobox HD/HG

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Apr 8 10:02:12 AEST 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 20:58 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> Dear Scott.
>
> First of all, thank you so very much for your reply.
>
> On Apr 07 2015, Scott Wood wrote:
> > On Sat, 2015-04-04 at 02:40 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > > ,----
> > > `----
> > >
> > > I note that arch/powerpc/boot/dts/kuroboxH{D,G}.dts have, as one of their
> > > first lines, the following comment: [0][1]
> > >
> > >     XXXX add flash parts, rtc, ??
> > >
> > > [0]: http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/kuroboxHD.dts?id=1cced5015b171415169d938fb179c44fe060dc15#n17
> > > [1]: http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/kuroboxHG.dts?id=1cced5015b171415169d938fb179c44fe060dc15#n17
> > >
> > > Is this a problem that can be fixed via additions to the DTS files?  Or
> > > would the problem be solved in a different way?
> >
> > What are your bootargs?
>
> My kernel command line is (specified via uboot) is the following:
>
> ,----
> | root=/dev/sda1 netconsole=6666 at 192.168.11.150/, at 192.168.11.149/ rtc-rs5c372.probe=0,0x32
> `----
>
> Only that.
>
> > I suggest putting the flash device into the dts (instead of using
> > physmap), and specifying the partitions on the command-line using
> > mtdparts.
>
> This is good to know. Is there any reasonable dts that I can copy/adapt?

I'm not familiar with how flash is connected on this chip, so I don't
have a specific recommendation other than to read the binding and look
at several examples.

>  I just started to read on the syntax of the dts files and I am still
> not confident that I can write my own without messing everything.
>
> Another question: would putting the description of the flash device into the
> dts file be helpful to remove any code from the kernel?

If you currently have a custom flash map driver, you could get rid of
that, but I suspect that's already gone away due to the fact that it's
no longer working.

-Scott