bit fields && data tearing

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 12 02:16:53 EST 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:04:11AM +0100, One Thousand Gnomes wrote:
> > > Is *that* what we are talking about?  I was added to this conversation
> > > in the middle where it had already generalized, so I had no idea.
> >
> > No, this is just what brought this craziness to my attention.
>
> None of it is craziness. It's the real world leaking into the crazy
> delusional world of sequential programming. Machines are going to get
> more not less parallel.

Amen to that!!!

> > For example, byte- and short-sized circular buffers could not possibly
> > be safe either, when the head nears the tail.
> >
> > Who has audited global storage and ensured that _every_ byte-sized write
> > doesn't happen to be adjacent to some other storage that may not happen
> > to be protected by the same (or any) lock?
>
> Thats a meaningless question. Have you audited it all for correctness of
> any other form. Have you mathematically verified the functionality as a
> set of formal proofs ? If you can't prove its formally mathematically
> functionally correct why are you worried about this ?
>
> Alpha works, maybe it has a near theoretical race on that point. It's not
> any worse than it was 15 years ago and nobody has really hit a problem
> with it. So from that you can usefully infer that those buffer cases are
> not proving a real problem.

Fair enough, I guess.

But Alpha's limitations were given as a reason to restrict
smp_store_release() and smp_load_acquire() from providing one-byte and
two-byte variants.  Of course, I am OK "probabilistically supporting"
pre-EV56 Alpha CPUs, but only if they don't get in the way of us doing
smp_store_release() and smp_load_acquire() on chars and shorts.  So if
pre-EV56 support has to go in order to allow smp_store_release() and
smp_load_acquire() on small data types, then pre-EV56 support simply
has to go.

Alternatively, one way to support this old hardware on a more
deterministic basis is to make the compiler use ll/sc sequences to do
byte and short accesses.  That would be fine as well.

						Thanx, Paul