bit fields && data tearing

Chris Metcalf cmetcalf at tilera.com
Tue Sep 9 06:45:59 EST 2014

On 9/8/2014 1:50 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
> Actual alignment is pretty irrelevant.  That's why all architectures
> which require alignment also have to implement misaligned traps ... this
> is a fundamental requirement of the networking code, for instance.

Can you clarify what you think the requirement is?  The tile architecture
doesn't support misaligned load/store in general, but we do support it for
userspace (using a nifty JIT approach with a direct-map hash table kept
in userspace), and also for get_user/put_user.  But that's it, and,
the networking subsystem works fine for us.

Occasionally we report bugs for driver code that doesn't use the
get_unaligned_xxx() macros and friends, and our fixes are generally taken
upstream.

--
Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.
http://www.tilera.com