bit fields && data tearing

One Thousand Gnomes gnomes at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Sep 9 03:52:40 EST 2014

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 08:41:52 -0700
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> On 09/05/2014 08:31 AM, Peter Hurley wrote:
> >
> > Which is a bit ironic because I remember when Digital had a team
> > working on emulating native x86 apps on Alpha/NT.
> >

> Right, because the x86 architecture was obsolete and would never scale...

Talking about "not scaling" can anyone explain how a "you need to use
set_bit() and friends" bug report scaled into a hundred message plus
discussion about ambiguous properties of processors (and nobody has
audited all the embedded platforms we support yet, or the weirder ARMs)
and a propsal to remove Alpha support.

Wouldn't it be *much* simpler to do what I suggested in the first place
and use the existing intended for purpose, deliberately put there,
functions for atomic bitops, because they are fast on sane processors and
they work on everything else.

I think the whole "removing Alpha EV5" support is basically bonkers. Just
use set_bit in the tty layer. Alpha will continue to work as well as it
always has done and you won't design out support for any future processor
that turns out not to do byte aligned stores.

Alan