bit fields && data tearing

Michael Cree mcree at orcon.net.nz
Sat Sep 6 07:27:27 EST 2014

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 05:12:28PM -0400, Peter Hurley wrote:
> On 09/05/2014 04:39 PM, Michael Cree wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 04:14:48PM -0400, Peter Hurley wrote:
> >> Second, in the body of the document:
> >>
> >> "The Linux kernel no longer supports pre-EV56 Alpha CPUs, because these
> >> older CPUs _do not provide_ atomic one-byte and two-byte loads and stores."
> >
> > Let's be clear here, the pre-EV56 Alpha CPUs do provide an atomic
> > one-byte and two-byte load and store; it's just that one must use
> > locked load and store sequences to achieve atomicity.  The point,
> > I think, is that the pre-EV56 Alpha CPUs provide non-atomic one-byte
> > and two-byte load and stores as the norm, and that is the problem.
>
> I'm all for an Alpha expert to jump in here and meet the criteria;
> which is that byte stores cannot corrupt adjacent storage (nor can
> aligned short stores).
>
> To my mind, a quick look at Documentation/circular-buffers.txt will
> pretty much convince anyone that trying to differentiate by execution
> context is undoable.
>
> If someone wants to make Alphas do cmpxchg loops for every byte store,
> then ok. Or any other solution that doesn't require subsystem code
> changes.

I am not suggesting that anyone do that work.  I'm certainly not going
to do it.

All I was pointing out is that the claim that "_do not provide_" made
above with emphasis is, strictly interpreted, not true, thus should not
be committed to the documentation without further clarification.

Cheers
Michael.