TTM placement & caching issue/questions

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Sep 4 19:34:54 EST 2014

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 09:44:04AM +0200, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
> Last time I tested, (and it seems like Michel is on the same track),
> writing with the CPU to write-combined memory was substantially faster
> than writing to cached memory, with the additional side-effect that CPU
> caches are left unpolluted.
>
> Moreover (although only tested on Intel's embedded chipsets), texturing
> from cpu-cache-coherent PCI memory was a real GPU performance hog
> compared to texturing from non-snooped memory. Hence, whenever a buffer
> could be classified as GPU-read-only (or almost at least), it should be
> placed in write-combined memory.

Just a quick comment since this explicitly referes to intel chips: On
desktop/laptop chips with the big shared l3/l4 caches it's the other way
round. Cached uploads are substantially faster than wc and not using
coherent access is a severe perf hit for texturing. I guess the hw guys
worked really hard to hide the snooping costs so that the gpu can benefit
from the massive bandwidth these caches can provide.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation