[RFC 0/2] Reenable might_sleep() checks for might_fault() when atomic

Christian Borntraeger borntraeger at de.ibm.com
Thu Nov 27 03:30:35 AEDT 2014

Am 26.11.2014 um 17:19 schrieb Michael S. Tsirkin:

>>> That's a deadlock even without copy_to_user - it's
>>> enough for the thread to be preempted and another one
>>> to try taking the lock.

>> should have been more clear at that point:
>> preemption enabled == kernel compiled with preemption support
>> preemption disabled == kernel compiled without preemption support

>>> IMHO it's not copy to user that causes the problem.
>>> It's the misuse of spinlocks with preemption on.
>>
>> As I said, preemption was off.
>
> off -> disabled at compile time?
>
> But the code is broken for people that do enable it.
[...]
> You should normally disable preemption if you take
> spinlocks.

Your are telling that any sequence of
spin_lock
spin_unlock

is broken with CONFIG_PREEMPT?
Michael, that is bullshit. spin_lock will take care of CONFIG_PREEMPT just fine.

Only sequences like
spin_lock
schedule
spin_unlock
are broken.

But as I said. That is not the problem that we are discussing here.

Christian