Fan management PowerMac7,2

Martin Kukač logout128 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 23:04:51 AEDT 2014

Hello,

I was directed to this list on #ppc64/freenode IRC channel. I have
PowerMac7,2 (AGP, 2xPowerPC 970(2.2) 2GHz) and I wanted to try kernel
supporting kvm-pr module, which is not in 3.2.63 kernel provided with
Debian Wheezy. I downloaded 3.14.24, compiled it using original config
from 3.2.63 and after booting fan management does not work. I tried
therm_pm72 (which is deprecated, but works well with Debian kernel) and
windfarm_pm72 modules, but neither worked - after about five minutes
from boot all fans go to maximum and stay this way no matter the CPU
load or frequency.

I downloaded vanilla 3.2.64, compiled it the same way and there fans
work with therm_p72 well. This kernel does not have kvm-pr, so I
reverted to original kernel provided with Wheezy.

I looked to logs, i tried to search the web whether anyone had already
the same problem, but it seems that nobody else described not to say
solved this. Can anyone please point me to anything that would help? I
can provide whatever log files required.

Thanks,

Martin Kukac