[PATCH RFCv4 0/4] EEH Support for VFIO PCI device
gwshan at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue May 20 18:30:08 EST 2014
The series of patches intends to support EEH for PCI devices, which are
passed through to PowerKVM based guest via VFIO. The implementation is
straightforward based on the issues or problems we have to resolve to
support EEH for PowerKVM based guest.
- Emulation for EEH RTAS requests. All EEH RTAS requests goes to QEMU firstly.
If QEMU can't handle it, the request will be sent to host via newly introduced
VFIO container IOCTL command (VFIO_EEH_OP) and gets handled in host kernel.
The series of patches requires corresponding QEMU changes.
v1 -> v2:
* EEH RTAS requests are routed to QEMU, and then possiblly to host kerenl.
The mechanism KVM in-kernel handling is dropped.
* Error injection is reimplemented based syscall, instead of KVM in-kerenl
handling. The logic for error injection token management is moved to
QEMU. The error injection request is routed to QEMU and then possiblly
to host kernel.
v2 -> v3:
* Make the fields in struct eeh_vfio_pci_addr, struct vfio_eeh_info based
on the comments from Alexey.
* Define macros for EEH VFIO operations (Alexey).
* Clear frozen state after successful PE reset.
* Merge original [PATCH 1/2/3] to one.
v3 -> v4:
* Remove the error injection from the patchset. Mike or I will work on that
* Rename CONFIG_VFIO_EEH to VFIO_PCI_EEH.
* Rename the IOCTL command to VFIO_EEH_OP and it's handled by VFIO-PCI device
instead of VFIO container.
* Rename the IOCTL argument structure to "vfio_eeh_op" accordingly. Also, more
fields added to hold return values for RTAS requests.
* The address mapping stuff is totally removed. When opening or releasing VFIO
PCI device, notification sent to EEH to update the flags indicates the device
is passed to guest or not.
* Change pr_warn() to pr_debug() to avoid DOS as pointed by Alex.W
* Argument size check issue pointed by Alex.W.
Testing on P7
- Emulex adapter
Testing on P8
Need testing for more after the code is finalized. The logic is required by P7/P8
machines shouldn't be different.
Gavin Shan (4):
drivers/vfio: Introduce CONFIG_VFIO_PCI_EEH
powerpc/eeh: Flags for passed device and PE
drivers/vfio: New IOCTL command VFIO_EEH_INFO
powerpc/eeh: Avoid event on passed PE
arch/powerpc/include/asm/eeh.h | 32 +++
arch/powerpc/kernel/eeh.c | 8 +
arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/Makefile | 1 +
arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/eeh-ioda.c | 3 +-
arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/eeh-vfio.c | 445 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/vfio/pci/Kconfig | 6 +
drivers/vfio/pci/vfio_pci.c | 24 +-
drivers/vfio/pci/vfio_pci_private.h | 16 ++
include/uapi/linux/vfio.h | 43 +++
9 files changed, 571 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/eeh-vfio.c
More information about the Linuxppc-dev