Node 0 not necessary for powerpc?

Nishanth Aravamudan nacc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue May 20 04:24:00 EST 2014

On 13.03.2014 [09:49:49 -0700], Nishanth Aravamudan wrote:
> On 12.03.2014 [08:41:40 -0500], Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Mar 2014, Nishanth Aravamudan wrote:
> > > I have a P7 system that has no node0, but a node0 shows up in numactl
> > > --hardware, which has no cpus and no memory (and no PCI devices):
> >
> > Well as you see from the code there has been so far the assumption that
> > node 0 has memory. I have never run a machine that has no node 0 memory.
>
> Do you mean beyond the initialization? I didn't see anything obvious so
> far in the code itself that assumes a given node has memory (in the
> sense of the nid). What are your thoughts about how best to support
> this?

Ah, I found one path that is problematic on powerpc:

I'm seeing a panic at boot with this change on an LPAR which actually
has no Node 0. Here's what I think is happening:

start_kernel
    -> setup_per_cpu_areas
        -> pcpu_embed_first_chunk
            -> pcpu_fc_alloc
                -> ___alloc_bootmem_node(NODE_DATA(cpu_to_node(cpu), ...
    -> smp_prepare_boot_cpu
        -> set_numa_node(boot_cpuid)

So we panic on the NODE_DATA call. It seems that ia64, at least, uses
pcpu_alloc_first_chunk rather than embed. x86 has some code to handle
early calls of cpu_to_node (early_cpu_to_node) and sets the mapping for
all CPUs in setup_per_cpu_areas().

Thoughts? Does that mean we need something similar to x86 for powerpc?

Thanks,
Nish