cscope: issue with symlinks in tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/copyloops/

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Fri May 2 11:19:19 EST 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-03 at 15:16 +0200, Yann Droneaud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using cscope to browse kernel sources, but I'm facing warnings from
> the tool since following commit:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=22d651dcef536c75f75537290bf3da5038e68b6b
>
>     commit 22d651dcef536c75f75537290bf3da5038e68b6b
>     Author: Michael Ellerman <mpe at ellerman.id.au>
>     Date:   Tue Jan 21 15:22:17 2014 +1100
>
>     selftests/powerpc: Import Anton's memcpy / copy_tofrom_user tests

Ooops, sorry.

> cscope reports error when generating the cross-reference database:
>
>     $ make ALLSOURCE_ARCHS=all O=./obj-cscope/ cscope
>       GEN     cscope
>     cscope: cannot find
> file /home/ydroneaud/src/linux/tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/copyloops/copyuser_power7.S
>
> It's a rather uncommon side effect of having (for the first time ?)
> sources files as symlinks: looking for symlinks in the kernel sources
> returns only:
>
>     $ find . -type l
>     ./arch/mips/boot/dts/include/dt-bindings
>     ./arch/microblaze/boot/dts/system.dts
>     ./arch/powerpc/boot/dts/include/dt-bindings
>     ./arch/metag/boot/dts/include/dt-bindings
>     ./arch/arm/boot/dts/include/dt-bindings
>     ./tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/copyloops/copyuser_power7.S
>     ./tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/copyloops/memcpy_64.S
>     ./tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/copyloops/memcpy_power7.S
>     ./tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/copyloops/copyuser_64.S

Right.

I did check that there were other symlinks already in the tree, but you're
correct I seem to be the first clever person to add symlinks to source files.

> So one can wonder if having symlinked sources files is an expected
> supported feature for kbuild and all the various kernel
> tools/infrastructure ?

Kbuild is not involved really, these files are just built with plain Makefiles,
at least from the symlink side.

FWIW ctags seems to cope, that's what I use.

But I didn't think of cscope.

Given you're the only person who's noticed I suspect most other things haven't
broken, fingers crossed :)

cheers