Bug in reclaim logic with exhausted nodes?

Nishanth Aravamudan nacc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Mar 26 03:23:03 EST 2014

On 25.03.2014 [11:17:57 -0500], Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014, Nishanth Aravamudan wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any ideas here?
>
> Dont do that? Check on boot to not allow exhausting a node with huge
> pages?

Gigantic hugepages are allocated by the hypervisor (not the Linux VM),
and we don't control where the allocation occurs. Yes, ideally, they
would be interleaved to avoid this situation, but I can also see reasons
for having them all be from one node so that tasks can be affinitized
and get the guarantee of the 16GB pagesize benefit.

Thanks,
Nish