kvmppc_wait_for_nap warnings and KVM host+guest hang on 3.14-rc6*

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Sun Mar 16 22:00:40 EST 2014

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 03:44:00PM +1100, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> I was testing KVM on an upstream kernel (3.14.0-rc6-00145-ga4ecdf8)
> with Gregory's emulated MMIO fixes.
>
> I ran with 16 cores and 4 threads (matches the host):
>
> qemu-system-ppc64 -enable-kvm -smp cores=16,threads=4 -m 32G -M pseries -cpu POWER7 -nographic -nodefaults -monitor stdio -serial pty -drive file=XXX -netdev bridge,br=br0,id=net0,helper=/usr/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=net0
>
> Note that in kernel XICS acceleration wasn't enabled (perhaps it should
> be the default, it isn't right now):
>
> qemu-system-ppc64: KVM and IRQ_XICS capability must be present for in-kernel XICS
>
> During boot I see processors stuck in the guest:
>
> [   16.145166] Processor 1 is stuck.
>
> And thousands of:
>
> kvmppc_wait_for_nap timeout 0 1
> kvmppc_wait_for_nap timeout 0 1
> kvmppc_wait_for_nap timeout 0 1
> kvmppc_wait_for_nap timeout 0 1

You need the couple of patches I posted recently, which Paolo Bonzini
is hopefully going to get to Linus before 3.14 is released, and which
are in the "next" branch of the kvm tree:

KVM: PPC: Book3S HV: Remove bogus duplicate code
KVM: PPC: Book3S HV: Fix register usage when loading/saving VRSAVE

as well as the series that you have in your "le" branch and Alex has
in his "kvm-ppc-queue" branch:

PPC: KVM: introduce helper to check RESUME_GUEST and related
PPC: KVM: fix VCPU run for HV KVM (v2)
PPC: KVM: fix RESUME_GUEST check before ending CEDE in kvmppc_run_core()
PPC: KVM: fix RESUME_GUEST check before returning from kvmppc_run_core()

Paul.