power and percpu: Could we move the paca into the percpu area?

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Jun 12 22:26:39 EST 2014

> Actually, from gcc/config/rs6000.h:
>
> /* 1 for registers that have pervasive standard uses
>    and are not available for the register allocator.

[snip]

> So cr5, which is number 73, is never used by gcc.

Not available for RA is not the same thing at all as not used by GCC.
For example, GPR1 and XER[CA] are also fixed regs.

But, indeed, it does look like GCC doesn't use it.  It seems to me that
some ABI forbade userland (or non-libraries or whatever) from using it.
I'll see what I can find out.

Segher