ppc: RECLAIM_DISTANCE 10?

David Rientjes rientjes at google.com
Wed Feb 19 19:20:21 EST 2014

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > I strongly suspect that the patch is correct since powerpc node distances
> > are different than the architectures you're talking about and get doubled
> > for every NUMA domain that the hardware supports.
>
> Even if the units of the distance is different on PPC should every NUMA
> machine have zone_reclaim enabled? That doesn't right to me.

In my experience on powerpc it's very correct, there's typically a
significant latency in remote access and we don't have the benefit of a
SLIT that actually defines the locality between proximity domains like we
do on other architectures.  We have had significant issues with thp, for
example, being allocated remotely instead of pages locally, much more
drastic than on our x86 machines, particularly AMD machines.