PCI-PCI bridge configuration in linux device tree

Anand Mistry anand.mistry at Spectross.com
Sat Feb 15 23:33:29 EST 2014

Hello,

We are working on a cPCI based application involving MPC8313 processor. The
cPCI back-plane has a PCI-PCI bridge on it.

While booting, the linux kernel(2.6.23) crashes while allocating resources for
devices
beyong the bridge. After examination we came to know that if we program the
PCI-PCI bridge's memory windows in u-boot (memory base and limit registers
manually using u-boot commands), the kernel won't crash and allocate resources.

Our understanding is that programming of PCI-PCI bridges's memory windows
should be done automatically either by u-boot or by linux during boot (not
considering hot-swap right now) and no special driver is required for PCI-PCI
bridges.

Is our understanding correct? Can somebody help us find out the way to achieve
automatic configuration of PCI-PCI bridge memory windows for resource allocation?

Attachments,
	log_pci_bridge.txt :  kernel crash log
	pci_dts.txt :  PCI config part of the DTS file

Thanks and Regards,

Anand Mistry,
Spectross Digital Systems, New Delhi