arch/powerpc/math-emu/mtfsf.c - incorrect mask?

James Yang James.Yang at freescale.com
Tue Feb 11 03:50:45 EST 2014

On Sun, 9 Feb 2014, Stephen N Chivers wrote:

> James Yang <James.Yang at freescale.com> wrote on 02/08/2014 07:49:40 AM:
>
> > From: James Yang <James.Yang at freescale.com>
> > To: Gabriel Paubert <paubert at iram.es>
> > Cc: Stephen N Chivers <schivers at csc.com.au>, Chris Proctor
> > <cproctor at csc.com.au>, <linuxppc-dev at lists.ozlabs.org>
> > Date: 02/08/2014 07:49 AM
> > Subject: Re: arch/powerpc/math-emu/mtfsf.c - incorrect mask?
> >
> > On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> >
> > >    Hi Stephen,

> <cproctor at csc.com.au>

> > If the compiler is enabled to generate isel instructions, it would not
> > use a conditional branch for this code. (ignore the andi's values,
> > this is an old compile)
> >
> From limited research, the 440GP is a processor
> that doesn't implement the isel instruction and it does
> not implement floating point.
>
> The kernel emulates isel and so using that instruction
> for the 440GP would have a double trap penalty.

Are you writing about something outside the scope of this thread?  OP
was using MPC8548 not a 440GP.  The compiler should not be using or
targeting 8548 for a 440GP so having to emulate isel shouldn't be an
issue because there wouldn't be any.  (The assembly listing I posted
was generated by gcc targeting 8548.)  Anyway, I had measured the
non-isel routines to be faster and that works without illop traps.

> Correct me if I am wrong, the isel instruction first appears
> in PowerPC ISA v2.04 around mid 2007.

isel appeared in 2003 in the e500 (v1) core that is in the MPC8540.
The instruction is Power ISA 2.03 (9/2006).