PCIe Access - achieve bursts without DMA

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Feb 1 09:53:35 EST 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 12:20 +0000, Moese, Michael wrote:
> Hello PPC-developers,
> I'm currently trying to benchmark access speeds to our PCIe-connected IP-cores
> located inside our FPGA. On x86-based systems I was able to achieve bursts for
> both read and write access. On PPC32, using an e500v2, I had no success at all
> so far.
> I tried using ioremap_wc(), like I did on x86, for writing, and it only results in my
> writes just being single requests, one after another.

Hrm, ioremap_wc will give you a mapping without the G (guard) bit.
Whether that results in some store gathering or not on IOs depends on a
specific HW implementation, you'll have to check with the FSP folks on
that one, there could also be a chicken switch (HID bit or similar)
needed to enable that (there was on some earlier ppc32 chips).

Another thing you can try is to use FP register load/stores.