Ask help about killing irqchip.irq_print_chip on PPC platforms

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Dec 23 18:58:49 AEDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-12-23 at 15:56 +0800, Jiang Liu wrote:
> Hi Scott and Tudor,
> 	Sorry, resend and Ccing the list.

Resending reply...

> 	We are trying to clean up some irqchip interfaces, and
> irqchip.irq_print_chip is a candidate for removal. After some
> changes on x86 side, arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_msi.c may be the
> last user of irqchip.irq_print_chip. So could you please help
> to advice on whether we could kill irqchip.irq_print_chip
> by using "fsl-msi" instead of "fsl-msi-%d" for irqchip name?
> Will it break any userspace interfaces?
> Thanks!
> Gerry

fsl-msi-%d was introduced to allow userspace to identify the cascade
interrupt belonging to a particular MSI, for the purpose of setting
affinity, as this cannot be done on the MSI itself due to hardware
limitations.

Removing it would not exactly eliminate a lot of code or complexity...

-Scott