Disabled LocalPlus Controller (LPC) clock on MPC512x

Matteo Facchinetti matteo.facchinetti at sirius-es.it
Tue Dec 2 21:47:59 AEDT 2014

On 26/11/2014 12:49, Alexander Popov wrote:
> Hello.

Hi.

> My Freescale TWR-MPC5125 board instantly reboots if I touch
> any physical address on the LocalPlus Bus (LPB) for the first time
> when Linux has already booted.
>
> This effect is reproduced by using /dev/mem or loading a kernel module
> which works with any peripherals on LPB.
>
> It took me some time to find out that such crash is caused by
> clk_disable_unused() in drivers/clk/clk.c, which disables
> LocalPlus Controller (LPC) clock if I don't touch LPB addresses in the
> or inserting dummy LPB reading to some initcall is a temporary fix.
>
> Is it correct to gate LPC clock?
For me yes, because it's physically present on SoC and could not be muxed.

> If yes, how to avoid the mentioned
> crashes properly?
>
> There's a piece of code in arch/powerpc/platforms/512x/clock-commonclk.c
> which is doubtful for me:
>
> /*
>  * pre-enable those "internal" clock items which never get
>  * claimed by any peripheral driver, to not have the clock
>  * subsystem disable them late at startup
>  */
> clk_prepare_enable(clks[MPC512x_CLK_DUMMY]);
> clk_prepare_enable(clks[MPC512x_CLK_E300]);    /* PowerPC CPU */
> clk_prepare_enable(clks[MPC512x_CLK_DDR]);    /* DRAM */
> clk_prepare_enable(clks[MPC512x_CLK_MEM]);    /* SRAM */
> clk_prepare_enable(clks[MPC512x_CLK_IPS]);    /* SoC periph */
> clk_prepare_enable(clks[MPC512x_CLK_LPC]);    /* boot media */
>
> Does it mean that these clocks should be registered with
> CLK_IGNORE_UNUSED flag?

Yes, in my opinion this groups of clocks may be considered as "always on",
but I don't think that MPC512x_CLK_LPC is an "internal" clock and then
It could be enable if really used only.
In detail:
   - may be good to enable MPC512x_CLK_LPC only when localbus is enabled
by the dts
   - if enabled, MPC512x_CLK_LPC have to setup with CLK_IGNORE_UNUSED
flag because never get claimed by any driver.

I put in CC "Gerhard Sittig" also beacuse it might be interesting to
know his point of view as the author of mpc512x common clock driver.

Regards,
Matteo