Linux 2.6.32 PowerPC MTD partition mounted at boot

Dorin D dorin1234 at outlook.com
Thu Sep 19 12:43:42 EST 2013

I am working on bringing up two Linux systems, both based on Freescale PowerPC devices, one is a MPC8349, the other a P1020. I was able to build, install and boot the kernel on both cards. The kernel is 2.6.32 and the  toolchains  are coming from the LTIBs packages from Freescale. Both cards have a 32 MByte NOR flash memory (AMD) boot flash. I have Uboot, kernel, RAM disk image and DTB in the boot flash and I want to use the spare space (about 20 MBytes) as flash file system. I have the following problem : the P1020 board boots fine using the RAM disk with the flash in the device tree , shows the flash device partitions (JFFS2) and DOESN"T try to mount a flash partition as root. The MPC8349 boots fine from the RAM disk but, after identifying the flash partitions, the kernel panics because is looking for a flash partition to mount as root partition and none of them is usable (not formatted). If I remove the flash from the device tree, the card boots fine using the RAM disk.
I am not too familiar with Linux boot scripts and I didn't figure out where I can disable this tentative of mounting the MTD partition. I want the boards to boot and mount the RAM disk, as the P1020 board does. The flash partition will be initialized and mounted at a later time, but not as root partition.
TIADorin