perf events ring buffer memory barrier on powerpc

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Oct 31 17:40:15 EST 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:25:26PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> [...]
>
> struct buffer *kbuf, *ubuf;
>
> /*
>  * Determine there's space in the buffer to store data at @offset to
>  * @head without overwriting data at @tail.
>  */
> bool space(u64 tail, u64 offset, u64 head)
> {
> 	offset = (offset - tail) % kbuf->size;
> 	head   = (head   - tail) % kbuf->size;
>
> 	return (s64)(head - offset) >= 0;
> }
>
> /*
>  * If there's space in the buffer; store the data @buf; otherwise
>  * discard it.
>  */
> void kbuf_write(int sz, void *buf)
> {
> 	u64 tail = ACCESS_ONCE(ubuf->tail); /* last location userspace read */
> 	u64 offset = kbuf->head; /* we already know where we last wrote */
> 	u64 head = offset + sz;
>
> 	if (!space(tail, offset, head)) {
> 		/* discard @buf */
> 		return;
> 	}
>
> 	/*
> 	 * Ensure that if we see the userspace tail (ubuf->tail) such
> 	 * that there is space to write @buf without overwriting data
> 	 * userspace hasn't seen yet, we won't in fact store data before
> 	 * that read completes.
> 	 */
>
> 	smp_mb(); /* A, matches with D */
>
> 	write(kbuf->data + offset, buf, sz);
> 	kbuf->head = head % kbuf->size;
>
> 	/*
> 	 * Ensure that we write all the @buf data before we update the
> 	 * userspace visible ubuf->head pointer.
> 	 */
> 	smp_wmb(); /* B, matches with C */
>
> 	ubuf->head = kbuf->head;
> }
>
> /*
>  * Consume the buffer data and update the tail pointer to indicate to
>  * kernel space there's 'free' space.
>  */
> void ubuf_read(void)
> {
> 	u64 head, tail;
>
> 	tail = ACCESS_ONCE(ubuf->tail);
> 	head = ACCESS_ONCE(ubuf->head);
>
> 	/*
> 	 * Ensure we read the buffer boundaries before the actual buffer
> 	 * data...
> 	 */
> 	smp_rmb(); /* C, matches with B */
>
> 	while (tail != head) {
> 		obj = ubuf->data + tail;
> 		/* process obj */
> 		tail += obj->size;
> 		tail %= ubuf->size;
> 	}
>
> 	/*
> 	 * Ensure all data reads are complete before we issue the
> 	 * ubuf->tail update; once that update hits, kbuf_write() can
> 	 * observe and overwrite data.
> 	 */
> 	smp_mb(); /* D, matches with A */
>
> 	ubuf->tail = tail;
> }
>

> Now the whole crux of the question is if we need barrier A at all, since

The dependency you are talking about is via the "if" statement?
Even C/C++11 is not required to respect control dependencies.

This one is a bit annoying.  The x86 TSO means that you really only
need barrier(), ARM (recent ARM, anyway) and Power could use a weaker
barrier, and so on -- but smp_mb() emits a full barrier.

Perhaps a new smp_tmb() for TSO semantics, where reads are ordered
before reads, writes before writes, and reads before writes, but not
writes before reads?  Another approach would be to define a per-arch
barrier for this particular case.

> If the read shows no available space, we simply will not issue those
> writes -- therefore we could argue we can avoid the memory barrier.

Proving that means iterating through the permitted combinations of
compilers and architectures...  There is always hand-coded assembly
language, I suppose.

> However, that leaves D unpaired and me confused. We must have D because
> otherwise the CPU could reorder that write into the reads previous and
> the kernel could start overwriting data we're still reading.. which
> seems like a bad deal.

Yep.  If you were hand-coding only for x86 and s390, D would pair with
the required barrier() asm.

> Also, I'm not entirely sure on C, that too seems like a dependency, we
> simply cannot read the buffer @tail before we've read the tail itself,
> now can we? Similarly we cannot compare tail to head without having the
> head read completed.
>
> Could we replace A and C with an smp_read_barrier_depends()?

C, yes, given that you have ACCESS_ONCE() on the fetch from ->tail
and that the value fetch from ->tail feeds into the address used for
the "obj =" assignment.  A, not so much -- again, compilers are not
required to respect control dependencies.

							Thanx, Paul