Avoiding the dentry d_lock on final dput(), part deux: transactional memory

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Oct 1 13:13:56 EST 2013

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 12:05:03PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-09-30 at 17:56 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Michael Neuling <mikey at neuling.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > The scary part is that we to make all register volatile.  You were not
> > > that keen on doing this as there are a lot of places in exception
> > > entry/exit where we only save/restore a subset of the registers.  We'd
> > > need to catch all these.
> >
> > Ugh. It's very possible it's not worth using for the kernel then. The
> > example I posted is normally fine *without* any transactional support,
> > since it's a very local per-dentry lock, and since we only take that
> > lock when the last reference drops (so it's not some common directory
> > dentry, it's a end-point file dentry). In fact, on ARM they just made
> > the cmpxchg much faster by making it entirely non-serializing (since
> > it only updates a reference count, there is no locking involved apart
> > from checking that the lock state is unlocked)

A memory-barrier-free cmpxchg() would be easy on Power as well.

> > So there is basically never any contention, and the transaction needs
> > to basically be pretty much the same cost as a "cmpxchg". It's not
> > clear if the intel TSX is good enough for that, and if you have to
> > save a lot of registers in order to use transactions on POWER8, I
> > doubt it's worthwhile.
>
> Well we don't have to, I think Mikey wasn't totally clear about that
> "making all registers volatile" business :-) This is just something we
> need to handle in assembly if we are going to reclaim the suspended
> transaction.
>
> So basically, what we need is something along the lines of
> enable_kernel_tm() which checks if there's a suspended user transaction
> and if yes, kills/reclaims it.
>
> Then we also need to handle in our interrupt handlers that we have an
> active/suspended transaction from a kernel state, which we don't deal
> with at this point, and do whatever has to be done to kill it... we
> might get away with something simple if we can state that we only allow
> kernel transactions at task level and not from interrupt/softirq
> contexts, at least initially.

Call me a coward, but this is starting to sound a bit scary.  ;-)

> > We have very few - if any - locks where contention or even cache
> > bouncing is common or normal. Sure, we have a few particular loads
> > that can trigger it, but even that is becoming rare. So from a
> > performance standpoint, the target always needs to be "comparable to
> > hot spinlock in local cache".
>
> I am not quite familiar with the performance profile of our
> transactional hardware. I think we should definitely try to hack
> something together for that dput() case and measure it.

> > > Yep.
> >
> > Well, just about any kernel transaction will at least read the state
> > of a lock. Without that, it's generally totally useless. My dput()
> > example sequence very much verified that the lock was not held, for
> > example.
> >
> > I'm not sure how that affects anything. The actual transaction had
> > better not be visible inside the locked region (ie as far as any lock
> > users go, transactions better all happen fully before or after the
> > lock, if they read the lock and see it being unlocked).
> >
> > That said, I cannot see how POWER8 could possibly violate that rule.
> > The whole "transactions are atomic" is kind of the whole and only
> > point of a transaction. So I'm not sure what odd lock restrictions
> > POWER8 could have.
>
> Has to do with the memory model :-(
>
> I dug the whole story from my mbox and the situation is indeed as dire
> as feared. If the transaction reads the lock, then the corresponding
> spin_lock must have a full sync barrier in it instead of the current
> lighter one.
>
> Now I believe we are already "on the fence" with our locks today since
> technically speaking, our unlock + lock sequence is *not* exactly a full
> barrier (it is only if it's the same lock I think)
>
> CC'ing Paul McKenney here who's been chasing that issue. In the end, we
> might end up having to turn our locks into sync anyway

Well, there have been a lot of fixed software bugs since the last
suspicious sighting, but on the other hand, I am just now getting my
RCU testing going again on Power.  I would certainly feel better
about things if unlock-lock was really truly a full barrier, but
this clearly needs a clean sighting.

> Yay ! The isanity^Wjoy of an OO memory model !

							Thanx, Paul