[RFC] arch: Introduce new TSO memory barrier smp_tmb()

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Fri Nov 8 10:50:01 EST 2013

* Peter Zijlstra (peterz at infradead.org) wrote:

[...]

Hi Peter,

Looking at this simplified version of perf's ring buffer
synchronization, I get concerned about the following issue:

> /*
>  * One important detail is that the kbuf part and the kbuf_writer() are
>  * strictly per cpu and we can thus rely on program order for those.
>  *
>  * Only the userspace consumer can possibly run on another cpu, and thus we
>  * need to ensure data consistency for those.
>  */
>
> struct buffer {
>         u64 size;
>         u64 tail;
>         u64 head;
>         void *data;
> };
>
> struct buffer *kbuf, *ubuf;
>
> /*
>  * If there's space in the buffer; store the data @buf; otherwise
>  * discard it.
>  */
> void kbuf_write(int sz, void *buf)
> {
> 	u64 tail, head, offset;
>
> 	do {
> 		tail = ACCESS_ONCE(ubuf->tail);
> 		offset = head = kbuf->head;
> 		if (CIRC_SPACE(head, tail, kbuf->size) < sz) {
> 			/* discard @buf */
> 			return;
> 		}
> 		head += sz;
> 	} while (local_cmpxchg(&kbuf->head, offset, head) != offset)

Let's suppose we have a thread executing kbuf_write(), interrupted by an
IRQ or NMI right after a successful local_cmpxchg() (space reservation
in the buffer). If the nested execution context also calls kbuf_write(),
it will therefore update ubuf->head (below) with the second reserved
space, and only after that will it return to the original thread context
and continue executing kbuf_write(), thus overwriting ubuf->head with
the prior-to-last reserved offset.

All this probably works OK most of the times, when we have an event flow
guaranteeing that a following event will fix things up, but there
appears to be a risk of losing events near the end of the trace when
those are in nested execution contexts.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mathieu