pci overmapping

Yoder Stuart-B08248 B08248 at freescale.com
Fri May 3 03:05:42 EST 2013

Kumar,

In fsl_pci.c there is a change you made a while back:
  "powerpc/fsl: Setup PCI inbound window based on actual amount of memory"

...and there is this comment in the code:

    /* PCIe can overmap inbound & outbound since RX & TX are separated */
    if (early_find_capability(hose, 0, 0, PCI_CAP_ID_EXP)) {

You are implying that PCIe can overmap and PCI can't.  Why is
that?   (I'm assuming that 'overmap' means that inbound window
can extend beyond the end of ram.)

We are facing an issue for a non-PCI express controller (i.e. without
PCI_CAP_ID_EXP) emulated by QEMU.  In our case we need the ATMU
window to extend beyond the end of ram, since the window size has
to be a power of 2.

Thanks,
Stuart