[Suggestion] PowerPC: kernel: cross compiling issue with allmodconfig

Michael Neuling mikey at neuling.org
Fri Mar 22 09:54:46 EST 2013

Chen Gang <gang.chen at asianux.com> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> summary:
>   the root cause is no enough room in exception area (0x5500 -- 0x7000).
>
>   it is caused by the patches "for saving/restre PPR":
>     they consumed much space of this area (0x5500 -- 0x7000).
>     for pseries_defconfig and ppc64_defconfig, it is still ok.
>     but for allmodconfig and "some additional config", it will cause issue.
>
>   the solving patch "Make room in exception vector area" can make room larger.
>     it can let "some additional config" ok.
>     but for allmodconfig, it is still not enough.
>

> details
>   reason:
>     it is caused by:
>        commit number: 13e7a8e846c2ea38a552b986ea49332f965bbb7a
>        commit number: 44e9309f1f357794b7ae93d5f3e3e6f11d2b8a7f
>     they are "for saving/restore PPR"
>     by Haren Myneni <haren at linux.vnet.ibm.com> Thu, 6 Dec 2012
>     compiling result:
>       pseries_defconfig: pass   (cpu for POWER7)
>       ppc64_defconfig:   pass   (cpu for POWER7)
>       allmodconfig:      failed (cpu for POWER7)
>
>   analysing:
>     solving patch:
>       ------------------------------------------------------------------
>       commit number: 61383407677aef05928541a00678591abea2d84c
>       Author: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>
>       Date:   Thu Jan 10 17:44:19 2013 +1100
>
>         powerpc: Make room in exception vector area
>
>         The FWNMI region is fixed at 0x7000 and the vector are now
>         overflowing that with some configurations. Fix that by moving
>         some hash management code out of that region as it doesn't need
>         to be that close to the call sites (isn't accessed using
>         conditional branches).
>       ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>       but for allmodconfig (not only for "some configurations"):
>         it really can reduce much overflow bytes,
>           (maybe from hundreds bytes to dozens bytes)
>         but still not enough (still content overflow bytes)
>
>     additional trying:
> 	after del CONFIG_VSX and CONFIG_PPC_970_NAP in allmodconfig,
>           (will reduce dozens bytes in the region .0x5500 -- .0x7000)
>         it can pass compiling (not overflow).
>

> next:
>   I am sorry:
>       I am not quite familiar with the detail features of powerpc.
>       it seems I am not the suitable member to continue trying.
>
>   I prefer Benjamin to continue trying (just like what he has done).
>
>   if Benjamin will not do it (e.g. maybe no time to do)
>     I should continue: "make additional room in exception vector area".
>       (if get no reply within a week: before 2013-03-28, I should continue)
>

>   welcome any members' (especially Benjamin) suggestions or completions.

This is great, thanks a lot.

If you want this to be picked up by the maintainer, you'll need to add
your signed-off-by.

The signed-off-by is to indicate that your happy for it to be included
and that you're legally allowed to do so.  See
http://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn/documentation/2.0/user-signedoffby.html
for more info.

Mikey