Linux kernel 3.x problems on PowerMac G5

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Mar 10 23:52:28 EST 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 11:53 +0100, Phileas Fogg wrote:
> Good news :) I found the bug.
> MMU features were not set properly for PPC970MP DD1.0 which,
> unfortunately, my machine has.
> Damn, one line fix but one week searching.
> Linux 3.8.2 boots without problems now :)

Nice one ! I didn't think anybody shipped a DD1.0 chip ! :-)

Looks like some typo/thinko in the cputable and you are one of the very
rare victims of it. I'll fix that up. Regarding the IDE problem, can you
shoot a note to Tejun who wrote that patch (and CC me) ? I do recommend
switching to libata but we should still fix the problem with legacy IDE.

Cheers,
Ben.