Linux kernel 3.x problems on PowerMac G5

Phileas Fogg phileas-fogg at mail.ru
Sun Mar 3 02:23:56 EST 2013

Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 03:40:19PM +0100, Phileas Fogg wrote:
>> Have anyone tested Linux 3 kernels on PowerMac G5 recently ?
>
> 3.8 boots normally to shell and is stable on G5 iMac (PowerMac8,1).
>
> A.

Thanks. Then i configured something wrongly probably.
I tried Linux 2.6.39.4 and it boots too.
I looked around on the Internet and it seems i'm not the only one
who has problems with Linux 3.x on my PowerMac G5.

The guy here has the same problem:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7222918.html

My PowerMac CPU
--------------------

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
cpu		: PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock		: 2000.000000MHz
revision	: 1.0 (pvr 0044 0100)

processor	: 1
cpu		: PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock		: 2000.000000MHz
revision	: 1.0 (pvr 0044 0100)

timebase	: 33333333
platform	: PowerMac
model		: PowerMac11,2
machine		: PowerMac11,2
motherboard	: PowerMac11,2 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as	: 337 (PowerMac G5 Dual Core)
pmac flags	: 00000000
L2 cache	: 1024K unified
pmac-generation	: NewWorld