powerpc/85xx: Add P1023RDB board support

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Jul 31 02:27:15 EST 2013

On 07/30/2013 05:22:11 AM, Chunhe Lan wrote:

> On 07/30/2013 09:09 AM, Scott Wood wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 04:26:20PM +0800, Chunhe Lan wrote:
>>> Ethernet:
>>>     eTSEC1: Connected to Atheros AR8035 GETH PHY
>>>     eTSEC2: Connected to Atheros AR8035 GETH PHY
>> Where are the PHYs in the device tree?
>     "Atheros AR8035 GETH PHY" driver is module_init driver. It uses
> the two structs of "static struct phy_driver at8035_driver" and
>     "static struct mdio_device_id __maybe_unused atheros_tbl" to
> register at8035_driver.
>
>     So do not need to add PHYs in the device tree.

Huh?  How does registering a driver eliminate the need to describe the
devices in the device tree?  If you're trying to say that the device
can be probed (like a PCI device), how do you determine which PHY goes
to which MAC?  I suspect the actual answer is "this chip has datapath
ethernet, and datapath stuff is not upstream (still!)".  That's no
excuse for not describing it in the device tree, though.  The device
tree describes the hardware, not what Linux has drivers for.

FWIW, I don't see the string "at8035_driver" anywhere in the kernel
(except in the SDK, which doesn't count here).  Maybe you meant
at803x_driver?

-Scott