Inbound PCI and Memory Corruption

Peter LaDow petela at gocougs.wsu.edu
Thu Jul 25 16:13:40 EST 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh at au1.ibm.com> wrote:
> No, they resolve to the same thing under the hood. Did you do other
> changes ? Could it be another unrelated kernel bug causing something
> like use-after-free of network buffer or similar oddity unrelated to the
> network driver ?

There are other items, such as drivers for our custom hardware modules
implemented on the FPGA.  Perhaps I'll pull our drivers and run a
stock kernel.  Maybe a stock 83xx configuration (such as the
MPC8349E-MITX).  If we have problems even on a stock configuration...

> Have you tried with different kernel versions ?

Funny you mention it.  I just tried 3.10.2 today and we still get the
same memory corruption.  I was hoping that perhaps something had
changed between 3.0 and 3.10 that might clear up the problem, and then
I could bisect to find where it failed.  But unfortunately, 3.10.2
exhibits the same issue.

So clearly this isn't an issue specific to the kernel version.  Though
the e1000 driver looks largely unchanged in 3.10.  So if the problem
is driver related, it would still be there.

Thanks,
Pete