visible memory seems wrong in kexec crash dump kernel

Chris Friesen cbf123 at mail.usask.ca
Sat Jul 13 08:59:12 EST 2013

On 07/12/2013 03:08 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

> I turned on the instrumentation in early_init_dt_scan_memory() and got
> the following when jumping to the capture kernel:
>
> memory scan node memory, reg size 16, data: 0 0 2 0,
> - 0 , 200000000
>
> That 0x200000000 matches the fact that I'm seeing 8GB of memory
> available in the recovery kernel.
>
> If I boot the original kernel with "crashkernel=224M at 32M", should I
> expect that only 224MB is marked as "linux,usable-memory" in the
> recovery kernel?

I started looking at the kexec side of things, and I noticed something a
bit odd.  In most places dealing with the device tree in kexec it
accepts either "memory" or "memory@" for the memory node name.  In
add_usable_mem_property() in arch/ppc64/fs2dt.c it seems to only accept
"memory@".

Is this expected behaviour?  It seems to be the same in current git
versions of kexec-tools.

On my system I see "/proc/device-tree/memory".

If I modify add_usable_mem_property() to also accept "/memory" then my
recovery kernel boots up with

physicalMemorySize            = 0x10000000

which is 256MB (which is still a bit odd since I specified 224MB for the
crashkernel).

However, it then hits the BUG() call at the end of mark_bootmem() in
mm/bootmem.c.

Chris