error compiling ptrace in current mainline git

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Sat Jul 13 08:31:42 EST 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:27:41AM -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build current mainline git with gcc version 4.4.1 as a
> cross compiler and I'm getting the following:
>

>   CC      arch/powerpc/kernel/ptrace.o
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:1619: Error: junk at end of line: `1'

<snip>

> Any ideas on how to deal with this?  Is this a code error or a
> compiler error?

It could be either can you:
a) try the 4.6.3 cross compiler from: https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/
b) Try a ppc64_defconfig build.

If the newer compiler with your .config fixes it it's a compiler issue.
If chaning the config with you 4.4.1 compiler fixes it please post you
.config to see if we can work out what's going on.

Also when you say "current mainline git" I assume you mean the HEAD of
linus's tree not Ben's right?

Yours Tony