visible memory seems wrong in kexec crash dump kernel

Chris Friesen cbf123 at mail.usask.ca
Fri Jul 12 06:55:23 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm running 2.6.34 with kexec 2.0.1 on a Freescale p5020-based system with 8GB of memory.  (It's an embedded system and I can't do much about the fact that it's using older software.)

I booted the original kernel with "crashkernel=224M at 32M" in the boot args.  I then loaded the crash kernel with:

./kexec -p vmlinux.kontron.strip --append="root=/dev/mtdblock0 rw rootfstype=jffs2 panic=5 1 maxcpus=1 noirqdistrib reset_devices"

Then I triggered a crash:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger

When the crash kernel came up, it had "elfcorehdr=48392K savemaxmem=8192M" in the kernel boot args, and "free" showed the system as having 7908652 KB of total memory instead of the expected 224MB.

Do I need to manually specify some options to kexec in order to preserve the memory of the original system?  I seem to recall that kexec did this automatically on x86 systems.

Thanks,
Chris