compile custom kernel for custom board with mpc5200b

neorf3k neorf3k at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 22:36:48 EST 2013

Hello, i'm developing an embedded linux system on a custom mpc5200b board, at University.

We have  a problem with a custom version of kernel: 2.6.23 and 2.6.33. We can't use newer version at the moment.

We are able to compile and load the kernel on Freescale Lite5200b and on Custom Board.

So, we have tested ethernet on both boards.
On Freescale, ethernet connection is ok, just tested with ping.

But on Custom Board we are having problems:
with kernel 2.6.23 we lost 98% packet loss.
We have tried to disable XLB PIPELINE in: arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx/mpc52xx_common.c
(just commenting these lines):

/* Disable XLB pipelining */
     /* (cfr errate 292. We could do this only just before ATA PIO
         transaction and re-enable it afterwards ...) */
     //out_be32(&xlb->config, in_be32(&xlb->config) | MPC52xx_XLB_CFG_PLDIS);

And with this, we have 10% packet loss.

In kernel 2.6.33, we have tried the same… but disabling or not the pipeline, we have 55% packet loss.

Where could i find some solutions?

Thank you

neorf