[Solved] SD Card over SPI, not working for MPC8313

R.Patil at mei-india.com R.Patil at mei-india.com
Fri Jan 25 15:41:13 EST 2013

Hello All,

The problem has been resolved.

After some debugging, we observed that problem was in initialisation of 'fsl_spi' driver. The 'fsl_spi' driver extracts platform data from device tree. This platform data contains gpio number for chip-select control (cs_control). Since, MPC8313E platform doesn't support 'gpiolib', 'fsl_spi' was unable to extract gpio number for chip-select control. This was forcing it to work without chip-select line. So we did (dirty) work around to initialise 'cs_control' field explicitly (in function 'of_fsl_spi_get_chipselects' defined in spi_fsl_spi.c) with our customised handler which toggles gpio controlling chip-select. This did the job and SD card is working fine now.

Still we have some questions just for understanding purpose. We alternately tried to initialise spi platform data by old method i.e specifying it in 'mpc831x_rdb.c' as it is done in 'mpc832x_rdb.c' but that didn't work. So our first question is, does it work for MPC8323ERDB? And one more question is, does 'MPC8313ERDB' platform support 'gpiolib' driver available in mainline kernel?
The answers might help us to clean our code and also to improve our understanding.

Thanks and Regards,
Rahul Patil