tqm5200s i2c bus timeout

Anatolij Gustschin agust at denx.de
Fri Jan 4 01:11:06 EST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 14:20:41 +0100
Johannes Braun <jjo.braun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope someone could help me with my problem. Currently I am porting
> a new kernel (3.3.8) for a tqm5200s based board.
> The previous kernel was 2.6.23. The new kernel version is needed because
> of support for a wireless card.
>
> I got issues with the i2c bus and this kernel. When the kernel boots up,
> the i2c initialization ends in a timout. This is the kernel log:
>
> [    1.460652] i2c /dev entries driver
> [    1.465434] mpc-i2c f0003d40.i2c: timeout 1000000 us

No, the initialization doesn't end in timeout. It is just an info
which timeout value will be used for i2c transfers.

> Connected to the bus is an eeprom (Microchip 24c32a) and a realtime
> clock (Philips PCF8563).
> The i2c bus section in the dtb file looks as follows:
>
> i2c at 3d40 {
>      #address-cells = <1>;
>      #size-cells = <0>;
>      compatible = "fsl,mpc5200-i2c","fsl-i2c";
>      reg = <0x3d40 0x40>;
>      interrupts = <2 16 0>;
>      fsl5200-clocking;

This "fsl5200-clocking" property is not needed anymore, you can remove it.

> };

> The dtb file from the kernel 2.6.23 looks as follows:
> i2c at 3d40 {
>
> #address-cells = <1>;
>      #size-cells = <0>;
>      compatible = "fsl,mpc5200-i2c","fsl-i2c";
>      reg = <0x3d40 0x40>;
>      interrupts = <2 16 0>;
>      fsl5200-clocking;
> };
>
> I can`t see any devices in /sys/bus/i2c/devices except the bus itself.
> # ls /sys/bus/i2c/devices
> # i2c-0
> # cat /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-0/name
> # MPC adapter

This is expected since you didn't add sub-nodes for your i2c devices
24c32a and PCF8563 in the i2c adapter node.

> Is there something wrong with my dtb file or is it a bug in the mpc-i2c driver

It is an issue with our dtb file. Please look at the I2C eeprom
sub-node in the arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc5121ads.dts file and at
the pcf8563 RTC sub-node in the arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mucmc52.dts
file for an example how to add needed nodes for your devices.

Thanks,
Anatolij