Ethernet over PCIe driver for Inter-Processor Communication

Saravanan S sarans1987 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 01:34:01 EST 2013

Hi All,
          I have a custom board  with four MPC8640 nodes connected over a
transparent PCI express switch . In this configuration one node is
configured as host(Root Complex) and others as agents(End Point) .Thus the
legacy PCI software works fine . However the mainline kernel lacks any
standard support for Inter-processor communication over PCI . I am in the
process of developing an Ethernet over  PCI driver for the same on the
lines of rionet . However I am facing the following problems.

a)   I can generate MSI interrupts from End Point to Root Complex over PCI
. But the vice-versa is not possible . However i need a method to interrupt
the End Point from the Root Complex to complete my driver. Only previous
references I can find are this post
http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxppc-dev@lists.ozlabs.org/msg25765.html .
However this uses doorbells and I think may not be possible in MPC8640.

b) Also i need a method to interrupt an End Point from another end point?
Is that possible ?

Any pointers on this issue and guidance on this driver development would be
helpful .

Regards,
S.Saravanan