Failure to detect PCI card

Peter LaDow petela at gocougs.wsu.edu
Tue Aug 6 08:11:51 EST 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM, David Hawkins <dwh at ovro.caltech.edu> wrote:
> My analyzer has an extender card that you first plug in, and then
> plug the board into that ... any chance someone in your organization
> has one of those cards? Alternatively, confirm the board works in
> a machine that has more than one slot, and if it does not, use the
> analyzer to see what is happening.

Mine has an extender as well, but it is a 5V only extender (such as
the one you pointed out).  I'll ask the HW guys if they have a 3V
somewhere.

Now, I'm not a PCI expoert, but, I can do PCI transactions via u-boot.
 And probing the PCI space via u-boot reveals nothing on 00:14.0 (the
place where our 82540 typically shows up).  Indeed, it returns all
FF's, so I presume that means nothing is there.  And enabling PCI_ENUM
is u-boot causes an exception when I try 'pci enum' (with an older
version of u-boot) or hangs u-boot (in 2013.07).

> If you're looking for a PCI target that you can completely control,
> then if you have an "FPGA guy" in your company, perhaps he can
> dig up a low-cost PCI card that you can configure as a PCI master
> to emulate the functions of a network card.

Well, we do have an FPGA hanging off the bus.  But getting an RTL guy
to do this....hmmm.  I'll have to explore more.

> Actually, before going down that route, I would get a PCI extender
> that you can use to trace the traffic with your board. Does the
> network card use 33MHz or 66MHz?

It's at 33MHz.  I just need to find a 3V extender somewhere...

Thanks,
Pete