ELDK 4.2/kilauea/3.5+ kernel broken

Robert Berger robert.karl.berger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:45:45 EST 2012

Hi Ben,

> Remind me what is the symptom ? A specific device isn't working ? Or the
> whole kernel goes toast ?

The whole kernel goes toast! Just reboots without saying much before;)

> My feeling is that those patches make MSIs
> work (well that's what they are supposed to do) and for some reason that
> doesn't agree with whatever you have connected to the PCIe slot...

I have nothing connected to the PCIe slot. Just a standard kilauea eval
board with a defconfig and a 3.6 kernel, so if someone has a kilauea
board it should be very easy to reproduce.

Mai, Rupjyoti do you have a kilauea bard lying around to test?

Maybe it's the kilauea fdt?

If I hard code NR_MSI_IRQS (as it used to be) at least the kernel boots
and I can work with the board. (I don't think MSI interrupts work).

23c23
< #define DEBUG
---

47d46
< #define NR_MSI_IRQS	4
55c54
< 	int msi_virqs[NR_MSI_IRQS];
---
> 	int *msi_virqs;
67c66
< 	err = msi_bitmap_alloc(&msi_data->bitmap, NR_MSI_IRQS,
---
> 	err = msi_bitmap_alloc(&msi_data->bitmap, msi_irqs,
88a88,92
> 	msi_data->msi_virqs = kmalloc((msi_irqs) * sizeof(int),
> 					    GFP_KERNEL);
> 	if (!msi_data->msi_virqs)
> 		return -ENOMEM;

192a197,198
> 	dma_free_coherent(&dev->dev, 64, msi_virt, msi_phys);

202c208
< 	for (i = 0; i < NR_MSI_IRQS; i++) {
---
> 	for (i = 0; i < msi_irqs; i++) {
223,224d228
< 	/*msi = &ppc4xx_msi;*//*keep the msi data for further use*/
<

Regards,

Robert

> Cheers,
> Ben.

...If it's there, and you can see it, it's real. - If it's not there,
and you can see it, it's virtual.- If it's there, and you can't see it,
it's transparent.- If it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased
it. (from some mailing list)

My public pgp key is available,at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1