ppc/sata-fsl: orphan config value: CONFIG_MPC8315_DS

Li Yang leoli at freescale.com
Wed May 30 20:59:05 EST 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com> wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 05:07 PM, Anthony Foiani wrote:
>> Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com> writes:
>>
>>> CONFIG_MPC831x_RDB doesn't mean that you're running on such a board,
>>> only that the kernel supports those boards.  It should be a runtime
>>> test.
>>
>> Point taken.
>>
>> If that SATA check is CPU/SOC-based, then it should be easy enough to
>> test.  The cpuinfo for my board is:
>>
>>   # cat /proc/cpuinfo
>>   processor       : 0
>>   cpu             : e300c3
>>   clock           : 266.666664MHz
>>   revision        : 2.0 (pvr 8085 0020)
>>   bogomips        : 66.66
>>   timebase        : 33333333
>>
>> On the other hand, if the problem is actually caused by board trace
>> routing (or other hardware that's outside the control of the CPU/SOC),
>> then I don't know how possible a runtime check will be.
>
> Board information is available from the device tree, and from platform
> code that was selected based on the device tree.
>
>> Do you know if there is a specific errata that the MPC8315_DS ran
>> across that required this fix, or was it a band-aid in the first
>> place?
>
> I don't know the history of this, sorry.  It looks like Yang Li added
> this code -- Yang, can you answer this?

The original code was there before I touched the driver.  So
unfortunately I also don't know the history of the problem.  Judging
from the comment in code and current test result I guess it is a board
related issue.  I agree with Anthony that the best action for now is
to remove the workaround completely.

Leo