Problem with framebuffer mmap on platforms with large addressing

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Mar 20 16:40:08 EST 2012

> >> That is interesting! Are those patches published or otherwise available
> >> somewhere? We are also very interested in enabling Canyonlands
> >> with Radeon KMS!
> >
> > You will run into additional problems with 460 due to the fact that it's
> > not cache coherent for DMA. Tony patches don't address that part of the
> > problem (they were used on a 476 based platform).
>
> Hmm. Could you please spill a little bit more of details? Also are those patches
> for 476 merged or present somewhere?

Well, DMA on 46x isn't cache coherent. The DRM plays interesting games
with mapping/unmapping pages for DMA by the chip and I don't think we
have the right hooks to do the appropriate cache flushing on these guys,
but Tony might be able to comment, I don't know whether he tried or not.

On the other hand 476 has fully cache coherent DMA so the only problem
there is the >32-bit physical address space.

As for the patches, you'll have to wait for Tony to respond (I'll poke
him locally).

Cheers,
Ben.