tlb flushing on Power

Seth Jennings sjenning at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Mar 6 04:56:33 EST 2012

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the help!  I was wondering if you could take a look at something
for me.

I've been working on this staging driver (zsmalloc memory allocator)
that does virtual mapping of two pages.

I have a github repo with the driver and the unsubmitted changes.  I'm
trying to make to get the pte/tlb stuff working in a portable way:

git://github.com/spartacus06/linux.git (portable branch)

The experimental commits are the top 5 and the branch is based on
Greg's staging-next + frontswap-v11 patches.

Could you take a look at the zs_map_object() and zs_unmap_object()
in drivers/staging/zsmalloc/zsmalloc-main.c and see if they should
work for PPC64?

I'm using set_pte_at() to map.  Then I'm using and ptep_get_and_clear()
and local_flush_tlb_kernel_page() to unmap (I #defined
local_flush_tlb_kernel_page() to local_flush_tlb_page() for PPC64 which
is a no-op).

It will work most of the time, but then I'll get a crash and the
mapped memory won't be what I expect.  I know the cause lies in the
virtual mapping because if I reduce the max_zspage_order to
1, preventing the "else" branch in zs_[un]map_object() from being
called, everything is stable.

Any feedback you (or others) can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Seth