Standalone SRIO Driver for Linux

Saravanan S sarans1987 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:15:32 EST 2012

Hi ,
      Iam currently working on the GE make DSP230 board consisting of Quad
PowerPC8640 nodes   interconnected by SRIO with Linux 2.6.34 . However the
only way to access the SRIO is through rionet facility . Our requirement is
to use the SRIO interconnect without the Ethernet overheads. This would
definitely enable higher speeds (though I cant find any throughput figures
for SRIO in Linux on the net ??? ).  My query is that whether any attempt
has been made  to develop a  standalone driver and API to access the
messaging  and doorbell services of SRIO . If no then request you to please
provide inputs on the same. From my study I have the following thoughts for
the driver :

a) Have a character device interface for user .
b) Basically use the rio support functions provided in rio.c like
rio_add_inb_buffer ,  rio_add_outb_message to transfer and receive messages
and add buffers .
c) Maintain a dedicated ring of buffers in the driver and transfer  data to
and from the buffer to user space .

Is this the right direction . Would really appreciate any inputs . thanks
in advance.

Regards,

S.Saravanan